Skill sharing- Basic Interviewing Skills
I would like to share with you some basic Interviewing Skills:
- Know what your story is-in other words why you are doing the interview?
- Know what role this person is playing in your programme.
- Brief yourself-find out as much background on the story as possible.
- Decide on your angle. What line are you going to take?
- Keep your questions brief and simple.
- Decide when you are going to use open/closed questions.
- Try not to write down the questions-use key words to jog your memory.
- Tell your interviewee what you are going to talk about. But do not spell out each question to him/her.
- Don’t let them tell you their best stories in the chat. They’ll never repeat them in the same way and they will use “as I said earlier”.
- Remember to give them the context of the interview. Which programme and why.
- Remember body language is most important for you and for the interviewee.
- Don’t let interviewees pull rank. This is your interview and you are finding answers for your audience.
- Keep eye contact.
- On the phone SMILE and soften the voice.
15. Enjoy it.
December 16, 2011